[ANSTHRLD] conflict check, please

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Jun 12 23:06:21 PDT 2002

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Cahira <cahira_of_bonwicke at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok, then here's what the bordure looks like:
>
> 4 crescent moons

Crescent moons or crescents?  Crescents are plain; crescent moons have
a half-face (like the Proctor and Gamble logo).  I haven't checked
precedents, but they probably don't get a CD from each other.  (A
roundel gets no CD from a moon in its plenitude (a roundel with a
human face).)  Nevertheless, it's a difference in blazon.

> (rounded side facing outwards, pointed ends touching) forming
> crosses all around the bordure.
>
> is that possible to do?

Is it (crudely) this?

 ^
( )

'Cause you said it was four crescents, but you didn't say how they
were arranged.  They could be (even more crudely)

/\
\/

The first would be "in cross", the second "in saltire".

As the old proverb goes, "difficulty in blazon is often an indication
of non-period style".  I can't actually think of a blazon for this.
Well, "and on a bordure groups of four (crescents|crescent moons)
conjoined in cross horns inward" (tinctures omitted because I don't
have them to hand).  But "groups of" is just an attempt at an English
description, not the language of blazon.

I do not recall any period or SCA coats in which strewn charges were
collected into subgroups.  Unless someone could point to a coat, I'd
suggest return.

If they're willing to take suggestions: a "bordure crescenty", with
eight or so crescents (points upward), would be just marvelous period
style, fairly easy to draw/paint/sew, and not much used in the SCA.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.