[ANSTHRLD] 'stooping' versus 'rising, wings elevated and addorsed'

tmcd at jump.net tmcd at jump.net
Tue Jun 18 08:45:52 PDT 2002

Brent.Ryder at compucom.com wrote:
> I have a submitter who recently found out that their device was
> reblazoned in the O&A and was not notified of the change.

People often aren't.  The wording of the Admin Handbook is ambiguous.
Also, there's no form or submission involved, so there's not that prod
for notifying, and the reblazon may be for something many years
earlier, so the address on hand may be stale.

> The submission was originally registered in October 0f 1982 and was
> reblazoned in August of 86.

It was from

    Argent, a peregrine falcon stooping to sinister proper and on a
    chief vert a sword proper enfiled of a ring of keys reversed Or.

    Argent, a peregrine falcon rising to sinister proper, wings
    elevated and addorsed, and on a chief vert a sword proper enfiled
    of a ring of keys reversed Or.

My guess is that Laurel realized (during a conflict check) that the
bird's body was closer to / than \, so "rising" is presumably more
accurate, and I suppose the wing position has to be blazoned.  As you
know, Bob, what is registered is the emblazon, not the blazon -- the
picture, not the words -- so whatever picture she submitted is still
applicable.

> I have not found a reason online for the change.

You mean by going to http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/ and looking at
the 1986 Laurel Letters of Acceptance and Return?  (You could have
saved me a few minutes had you mentioned that, grump grump.)  I looked
on my on-line set, and nada there either for all the late 1980s and
1990s.  Probably there was an errata letter (Herveus had to get that
correction SOMEWHERE) and it wasn't Webbed (dammit) or on the Laurel
disk (DOUBLE dammit).

> I am working with the submitter to get their original paperwork to
> see what it looked like and why it may have been changed.
>
> For those curious, the submitter's registered name is Jocelyn
> Celeste de Peregrina

probably more commonly known as Saqra al-Kudsi, but that's registered
as an alternate name.

Mari will be busy this week and so will I, so I don't know that we'll
be able to get to the file to check.  I have some CDs of scanned
files, and I'll try to check tonight to see if it's in there.

Daniel, clerk
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)