[ANSTHRLD] Name Doc Request - William Ironwyrm

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 24 11:01:08 PDT 2002

>Does anyone have documentation for the name William Ironwyrm. The only
>thing the submitter was adamant on was using the 'y' in 'Ironwyrm'.

It doesn't look like we have ever registered wyrm
as a compound name for a personal name or anything
other than some old branch names.

I checked in a few German resources but the iron and
wurm names don't come anywhere near this. There are some
more sources I have but they take longer to search and
I have to catch up from the trip to kings college.

After German, Old English uses worm names but mostly for places.  In English
Iron is limited to people who sell
iron or certain parts of the body like Ironside or
Iron foot.  German has lots of names for fighters
wearing armor, armorers, and the iron mining and
industry.

Another track is to look up the alternate meanings of
worm.  It also means a distilling coil that can be
made of iron.  I don't know if a shop sign of a dragon
made of iron would lead anywhere.

The submitter should know that this name in English
unfortunately, isn't really period in the desired meaning of mythical
monster made of iron.  Anything stunt
heraldry comes up with will be registerable but about as historical as using
phasers at the battle of Hastings reenactment.  If the client insists on
that spelling this may be a deadend.

Gunnora, is there enough evidence to support a name
like that in Norse?  There might be some twist that
can be done with Lingua Anglica.  If you find something
I will look at that angle.

Magnus