[ANSTHRLD] Name Doc Request - William Ironwyrm

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 27 22:49:07 PDT 2002

>Well, sort of.
>
>Without (much) stunt heraldry, you could have:
>
><Vilhja'lmr ormr>
><Vilhja'lmr Jarn-Ormsson>
><Jarn-Ormr Vilhja'lmsson>
><Jarn-Vilhja'lmr Ormsson>

Thanks Gunnora.

You might get William Ironworm out of that with
Lingua Anglica.  I don't see anything else in my
books that might help.  Some names turn out
to be non-period and there isn't much that can
be done for them.

He might want to pursue it as a sign name in German
Eisenwurm but my research on sign names isn't done yet.
I have found inns called Ironman and Dancing Crown.
That will be an article soon.

In Old English the byname is Iren wyrm.  If you can find
a way to rationalize this as a house sign of a
dragon made out of iron metal you might get it.

Be aware that Old English households and inn names
are somewhere out in the Twilight Zone of SCA
onomastics.  You might ask Modar if the Calontiri have
anything on late Old English that might help.

To take this line of research further would use more
time that I have before Coronation.  Let me know
if anything else turns up then.  I have armor to
make and mundane class work to do and heraldic
symposium stuff to finish.

Magnus