[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check Request

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Tue Nov 5 08:45:49 PST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:10:59AM -0600, Herndon, Darin wrote:
> Possible conflict:
> Learen von Meissen
> The following badge associated with this name was registered in May of
> 1982 (via Atlantia):
> Sable, an ermine statant erect ermine maintaining and playing upon an
> alto shawm Or.
>
> You get one CD for the change of color in the ermine/weasel/ferret
> critter but I don't think you'd get one for the maintained musical
> instrument.  On the other hand, it is from 1982 and the musical
> instrument may in fact be a misblazoned sustained charge which would
> give it the second CD.  Rampant vs. statant erect would give you the
> second CD vs. this, I believe.

Nope, not unless this precedent has been overruled in the past 12 years:

[A ferret statant erect vs. a mink rampant] There's nothing for
...posture.  (Nadya Gornastaevna Chorkova, September, 1992, pg. 43)

> Possible conflict:
> Perygen Northymbr
> Either the name or the following device associated it (or both) were
> registered in March of 1978:
> Sable, an otter [Enhydra lutra] sejant reguardant argent holding
> bendwise a felling-axe argent hilted proper.
>
> Same field, same primary charge tincture, axe is worthless unless
> sustained but misblazoned.  Sejant reguardant vs. rampant should be a
> CD.  I don't know if Sejant regardant would CD from sejant erect.

I don't know either; I suspect a lot of those postures are going to
require a visual check, due to the little short stubby legs.

   "It is extremely hard to tell the difference between statant and couchant
   on very short-legged critters like otters and ferrets; so much so that
   a visual comparison of the emblazons showed very little difference
   between them. (Da'ud ibn Auda, LoAR May 1995, p. 11)"

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith
jds at randomgang.com