[ANSTHRLD] Armory-Fieldless Question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Nov 10 19:17:13 PST 2002

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Herndon, Darin <DHerndon at bswintl.com> wrote:
> Does "(Fieldless) On an annulet purpure a cross overall Or charged
> with a thistle purpure slipped and leaved vert" run afoul of the
> four layers problem when there is no field?

You have get a return for excessive layering when there is no field --
the fieldless layer counts as a layer.  Another way to view it is as
"no charged tertiaries".

However, "overall" isn't a layer.  A thing that's overall is partly on
the background and partly over a charge, and it counts as being on the
underlying thing.

There are a number of confusing points here.
- "on" and "overall" don't go together.  "On" means "entirely on",
  and "overall" means "not entirely on".
- "A cross" by default is the ordinary, which is terminated by the
  edge of the background.  Problem: on a fieldless badge, there *is*
  no boundary, so this cross would go on forever.  If it has straight
  ends, it's "a cross couped".
- How does "an annulet, overall a cross couped" differ from "a Celtic
  cross"?  I don't know a difference.

So I think we need a plain English description ebfore we can discuss
this further.

Daniel de Linolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.