[ANSTHRLD] Conflict checking device

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Sep 8 11:08:49 PDT 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds.

No, that's a misquotation.  "A *foolish* consistency is the hobgoblin
of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and
divines.", Ralph Waldo Emerson.  I interpret the rest of the quotation
as being about people who are afraid to say what they think if it's
changed from yesterday's opinion.

> Look at how this item has been registered.

I'd rather look at a standard dictionary and Laurel precedent.  It's
convenient to have the same spelling, to make text searches easier
(and, if nothing else, to shut up LoAR proofreaders).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.