[ANSTHRLD] Per pall charges

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Sep 25 21:38:26 PDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
> I've a submittor interested in, well, what can be best described as
> a hexagon per pall vert, purpure and gules.  I know this is not
> allowable for a field division, due to bad contrast, but is the same
> true for charges?

Such questions can often be answered by reading the Rules for
Submission.  RfS VIII has

    2.  Armorial Contrast - All armory must have sufficient contrast
        to allow each element of the design to be clearly identifiable
        at a distance. ...

    a.   Contrasting Tinctures - Good contrast exists between: ...

    b.   Contrast Requirements

    i.  The field must have good contrast with every charge placed
        directly on it and with charges placed overall. ...

    ii.  A charge must have good contrast with any charge placed
         wholly on it. ...

    iii.  Elements evenly divided into two parts, per saltire, or
          quarterly may use any two tinctures or furs. ...

    iv.  Elements evenly divided into multiple parts of two different
         tinctures must have good contrast between their parts. ...

    v.  Elements evenly divided in three tinctures must have good
        contrast between two of their parts. ...

Note that iii, iv, and v, dealing with divided tinctures, do not refer
to "field divisions" but to "elements", which includes fields and
charges.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.