[ANSTHRLD] Conflict checking device

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Sep 6 22:30:04 PDT 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Per bend sinister argent and sable, in bend two roundels
> counterchanged, on a chief gules three tai-chi."

"t'ai chi".  Apostrophes are important.

    The charge ...was blazoned a yin-yang on the LOI, at the
    submitter's insistence.  The term does not appear to be correct.
    Yin-yang is the Chinese philosophy of opposing cosmic forces; the
    motif in this submission is a yin-yang symbol, according to the
    OED Supplement.  (The submitter's own documentation refers to the
    motif as a ``yang-yin disc''.)  The OED Supplement also gives t'ai
    chi as the name for this fusion of forces, the Supreme Ultimate
    --- but also as the name for the symbol of that concept.  (The
    martial art characterized as ``low- impact aerobics'' on the LOI
    is properly called t'ai chi *ch'uan*.)  The term t'ai-chi is
    correct for the motif; it's been used in previous SCA blazons; so
    long as we register the symbol, we will continue to so blazon it.
    (Randwulf the Hermit, June, 1993, pg. 2)

Daniel "'I'm not pompous, I'm pedantic.  There's a difference.'
    -- new button" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.