[ANSTHRLD] Sheep vs. Ram

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 00:20:39 PST 2003

For what it's worth:  the fleece on the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece is that of a two-horned sheep; the horns are each not quite a complete circle.  This was true of the first ten examples I found in:  Woodcock & Robinson, *Oxford Guide to Heraldry*, Neubecker, *Heraldry: Sources Symbols and Meaning*.  I stopped looking at that point.  Now, I don't know if the official description is a "ram's fleece", or "fleece" and it's just assumed that it's male because of all the macho associations of knighthood, or what.  Those legal sources I can only access at school.

I will page through my pictures when I've had some sleep and see what I can find out about sheep that are actually formal heraldry.

--Serena

 Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Christie Ward wrote:

> I have a question on this - are heraldic sheep horned or hornless?
> I know a ram should probably have horns

It's not immediately clear from the Pict Dict. Given that they say
that a horned sheep is a "ram", I strongly suspect that a default
"sheep" is hornless.