[ANSTHRLD] Help from Court Heralds

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Apr 8 15:13:15 PDT 2003

If I understand the quoting, Alden wrote:
> A court herald is in service to the Crown (B&B), so why would they be
> serving anyone else?

Because sometimes they do make announcements of general interest in
court -- "House Foo will be holding a bardic circle at 8 PM" and that
sort of thing.  Or they might call someone into court who has business
that isn't baronial/royal business (taking an apprentice is a common
example).

> Replying as a baronial herald, I must say that it is not the
> decision of the court herald to decide what gets announced or not
> during court.  That is the call of the Crown or B&B.

Quite so, but that doesn't invalidate Rodrigo's request.  Rodrigo
would, I'm sure, like heralds to ask the crown / baron/ess whether
there's room for it.  In smaller events without a lot of business, or
if the braes haets are at a high-persona event and want some
spiffitude, for example, they may be willing to do it.

"BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV1) (USA)"
<matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
]  Not being a great magnet, or knight

Um, a spelynge nit: you mean "magnate", from Latin "magnus", 'big'.
Being a magnet ("a body having the property of attracting iron and
producing a magnetic field external to itself") would help an SCA
knight: if they wore iron armor, they'd not have to worry about straps
breaking, and it's not like a rattan sword would be unduly attracted.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address