[ANSTHRLD] College of Arms

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Apr 1 11:41:23 PST 2003

"BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV1) (USA)"
<matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Have those in the College of Arms considered having a badge
> submitted,

You mean one that's different from "Vert, two straight trumpets in
saltire, bells in chief, Or.", for "Society for Creative Anachronism,
Arms, College of"?

> and wearing a clock of some sort

A *clock*?  What does a clock have to do with heraldry?  (And what
does a wearable clock have to do with most of the SCA's period?)

> As each crown steps up the College could appear before them and
> renew their oath of service.

Renew what oath of service?  I have never sworn to a crown.  (I use
other prepositions.)  Nor have most heralds.

I do like ceremony.  However, the ceremonies I like are period ones,
like the baptism of a new herald.  Do you have any evidence of herald
swearing at a coronation?  Further, in my humble opinion, coronations
are too long as it is.  (Blasted chivalry insisting on swearing
individual oaths -- as if in period people got to pick and choose
their own wording!)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address