[ANSTHRLD] College of Arms

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 23:57:27 PST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Rodrigo wrote:

>> I mean a cloak with a badge of office. Each officer wearing the
>> badge of their office.

To which Daniel de Lincolia replied:

>Period evidence of officers wearing cloaks with the arms or badge of
>their office?

Officers?  Nope.  Heralds?  Nope.  Anyone other than knights?  I'd love to see it.  (Oh, and the badge on knights' cloaks goes on the shoulder, not a big one on the back.)  Officers wore collars of office, and some offices (judges, I think) also had staves of office, white rods which varied in length.  (I don't know if there's a book that says this, but if you've spent fifteen years very carefully studying portraits specifically looking for details and trends, especially about insignia, you learn these things.)  Heralds wore tabards; lesser heralds (pursuivants) wore tabards so that the longer sections were over the arms (as in limbs).  (Citation off the top of my head:  Rene d'Anjou's "Treatise on the form and devising of a tournament", mid-fifteenth century, in several plates.)

R>> Or, Each member of The College of Heralds could were a tabard with
R>> sleeve panels. Depending on your level or office you may were your
R>> tabard normally, or sideways if a pursuivant.

DL>That's a very nice idea. Perhaps lines of heralds with the royal
DL>arms on their tabards, if enough such tabards exist or could be made
DL>to exist.

Oooh, that'd be cool.  Such tabards of course do not *yet* exist, but we could *ask nicely* around and see if anyone *volunteers*.  (I've had quite enough, thank you, of someone coming up with a neat project, convincing a couple of other people that it's a neat idea, and then demanding and whining about "This is for us!  You must come work on it!  Why aren't more people working on this?!"  to everyone in the household/shire/barony/kingdom.  It's all back to the honey-versus-vinegar thing.  I've seen too many nobles and crowned heads who actually believed that they were real medieval nobles and crowned heads who could demand anything they wanted as their right.  But that misconception leads to a whole other rant, and it's really late.  The important thing is to remember that we are twenty-first century people playing the game of being medieval people, but as products of three centuries of popular sovereignty, we are not mentally and culturally wired to put up with divine-right treatment.)

R>> Any of this would be better than none of it.

DL>This I'll disagree with. I would rather not have Yet Another SCA
DL>Invention.

Hear!  Hear!  I'd much rather have authentic medieval & renaissance inventions.  That's what I joined the SCA to do, re-create medieval & renaissance things and attitudes (within reason, of course; see above-mentioned post-period concept of popular sovereignty, as well as antibiotics, modern ideas of hygiene, etc.)

--Serena, who has Ideas about period-style coronation ceremonies, and the documentation to back them up