[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check requested

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Wed Apr 2 06:43:34 PST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 01:24:58AM -0800, Diane Rudin wrote:

> Are there any potential conflicts for:  "[Fieldless] An owl ermine"?  My
> search of the online O&A turned up no matches for the phrase "owl
> ermine", but I'm not up on the current rules so I don't know how
> "fieldless" is being treated now.  (I have a vague memory that it once
> was one "automatic" difference.)

Well, that part of your memory is accurate.  However, in some cases owls
can conflict with other birds, so it is profitable in a general sense to
check all ermine birds close.

Having done so, I see only one potential problem:
Society for Creative Anachronism
The following seal associated with this name was registered in August of
1979 (via the West):
(Tinctureless) A secretary-bird sejant regardant. [Sagittarius
sepentarius]
for Privy Clerk to Morsulus Herald

Tinctureless, while it gets the one CD for fieldlessness, cannot get a
second CD from tincture.  So this boils down to whether a secretary-bird
sejant regardant is sufficiently different from an owl close guardant to
get a CD.  I would suspect so but "'tis a judgement call for Laurel, I'm
afraid."

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN