[ANSTHRLD] FW: Allagon?

Maridonna maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 22 06:46:49 PDT 2003

> Fore those working on the byzantine name:
>
> From Finnian:
>
> Heh, someone made a typo.  Try Agallon.
>
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/byzantine/family_names.html#fam
> ily_names

Cool.

I haven't found a period usage of <Demosthnes>, although the on-line LPGN,
Volume I lists it.  IIRC the LPGN ends approximately 250 AD.  One weirdness
for temporal disparity.

However, Bardas' site does list Dionysios, which is used as a monastic name.
Thinking that this is the name of a pagan god I found a baby name site which
says Dennis "is a medieval variant of Greek name Dionysios, derived from
name for follower of diety Dionysos".

None of my period Greek sources list <Demosthnes>. So, although a stretch,
an ancient pagan name could have been used, I guess, as mentioned above in
Dionysios.  I would prefer to see period naming practices used, which seems
to me to be naming children after saints and apostles, etc.

Just my two cents.
--
Andrea / Maridonna