[ANSTHRLD] <Thyre>

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Fri Aug 8 12:20:17 PDT 2003

Quoth "BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV6) (USA)":
>> Bjorn Thyreson
>> Thyre= R.S., Jelling, Jutland, Denmark

Aryanhwy responded:
> <Thyre> is not a name I'm familiar with.
> I don't understand your reference here.
> Where did you find the name?

<Thyre> is not an uncommon Anglicization of <{TH}yra> or <{TH}yri>, the wife
of King Gormr of Denmark (c. 925). Depends on how old the source is -- I
think current practice is to render it as <Thyra> in English, but I've seen
several variants on this specific name.

To get a real taste of the variants, do some web searching for the English
translation of the runic inscription DR41 (Gorm's Stone or the Jelling
Stone) which says:

<KurmR konukR kar{th}i kubl {th}usi aft {th}urui kunu sina tanmarkaR but.>

In English it's more or less:

"Gorm the king made this memorial after Thyra his wife, Denmark's
adornment."

For instance:

http://www.vikingworld.dk/jellinge30.htm
http://hjem.get2net.dk/hrimfaxi/SIDER/JYLLAND/JELLING1.HTM

See also:

Geirr Bassi Haraldsson. The Old Norse Name. Studia Marklandica I. Olney, MD:
Markland Medieval Militia. 1977. p. 17 s.n. <{TH}yri>

Lena Peterson. Nordiskt runnamnslexikon. Språk- och folkminnes-institutet.
http://www.dal.lu.se/runlex/index.htm  Accessed 30 May 2003. s.n.
<{TH}y'rví/{TH}o'rvi>

::GUNNVOR::