[ANSTHRLD] Chinese courtesy titles/ Rank titles

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 05:59:14 PDT 2003

>Consider a person with a Chinese persona:
>1. Can he use the title "Khan" if they have a Court Barony?

I would recommend against it base on the historical meaning
of the name.

Magnus von Lubeck

SEPTEMBER 1983 LoAR - Caid
Abdur Raliman Curom Memo Hazara Khan-ad-Din. Name approval only.
          NOTE: This was a tough one. The appeal was well documented. I
          agree that "khan" is Arabic for inn or house, and that it was
          used as a name element in period. Unfortunately, "kahn" is also
          the usual transliteration of the Mongol title equivalent to king.
          The College was fairly evenly split on this question, being
          slightly in favor of the appeal. My decision is that khan may be
          used, but only as part of an obviously Arabic name and only in
          some form other than just "han." Thus one can have the period
          surnames Khansá, Kh n , Kh ni, or al-Khans , or the alternative
          transliterations of Qan, Cane, Kane, or Chan. (I would rather not
          see ha'n, as that will be confused with the Han dynasty.)
          (Crescent: Please pass this on to the Negra-Khan people.) With
          Abdur's permission, I have changed Khan to Khan-ad-Din, an Arabic
          faith name meaning "Inn of the Faith." This is acceptable,
          although it would be better practice to place it earlier in the
          name.