[ANSTHRLD] Re: Device with Reremice - X-Posted

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 13 08:46:50 PDT 2003

Lee & Susan <lecachot at airmail.net> wrote:
> I am trying to design a device in sable and argent, using reremice
> (or is that reremouses?) (or does the SCA just call them bats and
> forget this term?)

It's explained best in the March 1991 LoAR, Meridies acceptances,
Anneyse of Caernarvonshire,

    Regarding the creature blazoned a "bat" in the LoI, the Fool of
    Arms said it best, in _Motley_Heraldry_:

        You may say to bats in a belfry
        "You're bats."  They won't mind, 'cause they are;
        But you mustn't say "Bats" to the one in shields --
        You'd better be silent by far;
        For the bat in a shield is a reremouse
        (You may call him a flittermouse, too)
        And if you say "Bats" to the reremice proud
        They'll answer, "And bats to you!"

> and am looking for some interesting suggestions.

Used more in the SCA than in real-world heraldry, but I wouldn't call
it frequent enough to be a cliche.

> I've been considering possibilities that are counterchanged; for
> example, per pale argent and sable a chevron between three
> (whatevers) counterchanged.  This seems to "cramp" the bat in the
> bottom, so I am trying to avoid that appearance.

A chevron between three widgets usually works well.  You can adjust
your local chevron to fit -- for example, they tended to be steeper in
earlier period, I believe, and you can narrow it to some degree.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address