[ANSTHRLD] device

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 7 08:51:48 PDT 2003

PKieferjr at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/6/2003 10:36:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
> freaks252798 at yahoo.com writes:
>
> > would like my device to be a green top black bottom with a gold
> > inverted chevron in the green area a gold sickle one the black
> > area 2 gold winged claws thank you for you time dmitrii
> > rostislavich
>
> Bouncer!  Never heard of claws being "winged".  Never heard of claws
> being by themselves.  Anyone verify?

There is a long-standing tradition that you can put a bird's wing on
just about anything in SCA armory, I think because Germanic armory in
particular puts wings on improbable things.  Those improbable Germans
again.

Claws and legs on their own have been registered a number of times.
Recently there was
    Rowena of Avalon|0010R|b|Argent, a feather inverted between a claw
    reversed, and a claw sable.
and Rhiannon y Bwa just submitted a pair of chicken legs (though
I think a decision has not been published).

There's also

    Inman MacMoore|9912X|d|Sable, a winged eagle's claw sustaining to
    dexter a broadaxe palewise Or.

As I recall, there's a little bit obscure German charge which has a
big wing with a smaller human hand coming from the middle.  It looks
like a bizarre freak of nature, but, hey, it's Germanic, so you'd
expect that sort of thing.  I think at least one US military unit uses
it, but I'm not sure and I don't know which one.  Perhaps Dmitrii was
thinking of Inman's version.

On the other hand, Dmitrii might have been thinking of a full claw --
perhaps a large claw, perhaps with a lower leg, perhaps with both
lower and upper leg, perhaps with a smaller wing or larger wing.

Dmitrii, pray describe further what you're thinking of.

Daniel "a wing and a prayer" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address