[ANSTHRLD] Device Feedback

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 7 09:05:22 PDT 2003

"Joseph Percer" <jpercer at stx.rr.com> wrote:
> http://users.zoominternet.net/~giltwist/arms.png
>
> Lozengy Or and Tenne, on a chief sable in between two wolves sejant
> with heads erect, a moon in its splendor argent.

Johann was right about the bouncing.  I'll just touch on the blazon.

The only Words that we Capitalize in SCA Blazons are:
- (Fieldless), which is not part of the blazon per se
- (Tinctureless), ditto
- The first word of the blazon, as in
      Lozengy gules and argent.
      (Fieldless) A mascle gules.  (Note: "A" is the first word of the blazon)
- The tincture Or.
- Proper names, as in "a cross of Jerusalem" or "a Bowen knot".

We don't generally use "in between", but just "between".  For things
on the same level, we don't generally do
    between SURROUNDING-THINGS, THING-IN-CENTER
as here, but rather
    THING-IN-CENTER between SURROUNDING-THINGS

Howling wolves is "ululant".  I suspect it's an SCA invention: it's
certainly used a fair amount in the SCA, to the point of being
something of an SCA cliche, but not (so far as I know) used in period.

Sun in [its] splendor, moon in (its|her) (complement|plenitude).
Yeah, I know, a dorky sort of terminology distinction.  Heraldry's
like that sometimes.

Rechecking the picture: generally, for a field tesselated in many
parts, the tincture in the upper left corner is the first tincture
mentioned, although there is absolutely no difference granted for it.

So, in summary, the letter of return would blazon it as

    Lozengy tenne and Or, on a chief sable a moon in her plenitude
    between two wolves ululant argent.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address