[ANSTHRLD] 2nd Ed Withycombe

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Aug 31 19:40:14 PDT 2003

> >The 3rd edition is worth the most for SCA heralds because it has
> >more dated entries and has corrected errors in previous editions.
>
> Correct.
>
> Another interesting tidbit - I have been told by folks who have
> side-by-side compared a 3rd edition hardback copy to a 3rd edition
> paperback copy, that the page numbers are not the same.  In other words,
> the entry for Elizabeth may have one page number in the hardback copy and a
> different one in the paperback copy.  Which is why listing the header is so
> important when referencing Withycombe.  (Listing a header is a Good Thing
> all the time, just more important than normal with Withycombe for this
> reason.)

There's also another Withycombe title out there: _The Concise Dictionary
of English Christian Names_.  Printed by Omega Books in 1977 by arrangement
with Oxford University Press.  The content is pure 3rd edition Oxford,
word for word.  Page numbers differ, though.  That's the copy I own.

- Teceangl
--
                  Cats are not out to take over the world.
           It's already theirs.  We just get to live here, too.