[ANSTHRLD] Use of "Thane"/"Ring Thegn"

Zodiacus Herald zodiacus at ansteorra.org
Mon Dec 29 14:02:51 PST 2003

Etienne de St. Amaranth wrote:
> Any heraldic history buffs on the list who remember what the Ring Thegns
> were, were intended for, who might have been members, etc.?

My first guess is, you know, that it's an order for fans of Thomas
Covenant.  Or Beowulf, I suppose.

Aaaanyway.  Seriously now.  Here's an email extracted from Stefan's
Florilegium:

  Subject: RE: ANST - Awards and such
  Date: Tue, 19 May 98 05:43:15 MST
  From: Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moondrgn at bga.com>
  To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG

  >I know nothing about Ring Thegn. It is an order name
  >registered to Ansteorra. If it was a household thing,
  >I dunno why it's there.

  Ring Thegns are/were a Principality of Ansteorra award from the days of
  Sean and Katarina. (They originally wanted to jist use "Thegn" but the
  heralds wouldn't let them.)

  IIRC, it was for service to the Prince and/or Princess, and therefore
  styled as "Ring Thegn to House ______" to specify which Prince/Princess
  was served.

  -Tivar Moondragon
  Ansteorran fossil