[ANSTHRLD] CD's between Owls and Eagles????

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Tue Dec 30 07:34:34 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:03:23AM -0600, Brent.Ryder at compucom.com wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm looking to get this point nailed down a bit as there seems to be a
> discrepancy between what I have just been reading in the recent
> precedents.
>
> Is there a CD for type between an Owl and an Eagle?
>
> I found the following precedents which seem to be in conflict:
>
> >From Dame Elspeth's tenure:
> By current precedent, there is not a CD between an owl displayed and an
> eagle displayed. [Anders Botman, 03/01, R-East]
>
> >From Master Francios' tenure:
> ... there is another CD for changing the type of bird from an owl close
> to a falcon close. [Falco de Jablonec, 06/02, A-Drachenwald]
>
> and
>
> An owl affronty has been ruled to be equivalent to an owl close (and
> thus therefore, also to an owl close and contourny): "The 'blobbiness'
> of the owl's body, and the fact that the owl is guardant in all cases,
> leads me to conclude that there is no visual difference for turning the
> owl's body affronty" (LoAR of October 1992). Therefore there is no
> meaningful posture difference for turning the charges in chief (which
> are contourny) to this owl affronty, as the owl affronty is equivalent
> to an owl contourny. [Ambra Biancospina, 04/02, R-Middle]
>
> Which just adds to the confusion here. Since the owl's body is said to
> be 'Blobby', by this last precendent at least, then the only visual
> difference when compared to the falcon in the previous precedent would
> be the difference in the shape of the heads.
>
> This leads me to think that there would be a CD between an Eagle and an
> Owl for much the same reasoning. Have I missed something here?
>
> This was brought about by a conflict check of a proposed device, "Per
> pale argent and azure, an Owl displayed counterchanged".

OK, there is more difference between an owl's body and the profile of a
falcon's body than you believe.  So there is a CD between a falcon close
and an owl close/affronty.  However, since in period the only bird that
was shown displayed was the eagle, and there is not a large difference
between an owl's body and a front view of an eagle's body, there is not
a CD between an owl displayed and an eagle displayed.  (Nor would there
be, I am reasonably certain, between an owl close/affronty and a falcon
affronty.)

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN