[ANSTHRLD] Help with a name check

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Sun Feb 9 18:49:39 PST 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 08:25:07PM -0600, Michelle Hanson wrote:
> I had someone contact me and I need some help with his request.  I have
> attempted to contact Asterisk but I have not had any response from her
> at all.  Anyway?.

Depends on which email address you sent to.  She reads this list, so
likely will reply herself in the next day or so.

> His mundane name is Phil Foster and his SCA name is Laird Angus McKinnon
> of Black Oak Keep.
> Here is the situation:
>
> ? A couple of years ago, or more correctly about three or four years
> ago, I submitted both my name and device for approval and registration.
> I know my name passed as I found it in the on line armorial but I don't
> know what happened to my device.  Is there some way I can track this
> information sown and find out what reason they was for it not passing.
> There was the following number beside my name in the armorial,
> |0|09X|N||, I don't know what that means or if it will help.   I don't
> recall the exact date of submission, but I think it was around the 12th
> night or coronation of Duncan.?

The Heraldic Submissions Tracker (HST for short) proves useful again!
(Check it out at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst)

According to it, "Angus MacKinnon"'s name and device were submitted via
Steppes on the Feb 2000 ILoI.  They were returned in-kingdom in April
2000.   "Angus MacKinnon of Black Oak Keep" was on the March 2001 ILoI,
passed kingdom and was on the LoI for May 2001, and was accepted in the
Sep 2001 Laurel letter.

The AICC (found at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/ICC/aicc200002.html)
says the name was returned for conflict (fixed by the later submission),
and the device was "Pended for acceptable name."

Somewhere in there, unfortunately I don't have a cite right off-hand,
the (probably wise) decision was made that if a name was returned, to go
ahead and return the armory as well instead of pending it, because
Pended Items Get Lost. It's probably sitting in a file somewhere,
hopefully marked 'pended items', and someone simply forgot (or didn't
know) to check it.  Offices do change hands, and things like pended
items fall through the cracks.

<local herald rant>
Local heralds should keep TRACK of these things, not the submitter, and
make sure the resub goes up with a sticky-note on it or something.
Asterisk is swamped with lots of paperwork, and anything we can do on
the local level to help her out is a Good Idea!
</local herald rant>

will stick it in the queue as quickly as possible.  If you're unlucky,
it's lost in the mists of time and file cabinets, and you should just
send in a resub.  Technically he's out of the 'free resub' period,
because that's 2 years from date of return.  Talk to Asterisk.

-Emma
Obelisk

--
Jennifer Smith