[ANSTHRLD] Looking for Comments on the Blazoning

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Feb 14 09:44:56 PST 2003

Bill Butler <chemistbb3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Fieldless, A stag, at gaze, conjoined at its hooves
> with two garden roses, slipped and leaved in saltire,
> argent.
>
> I would appreciate comments on the correctness of the

Yes?!  Yes!?  I've warmed up the heraldic machine gun.

> blazoning.

Oh.  Drat.  Here I was hoping that word would be "style".  I think a
shorter, yet still legal, blazon would be

(Fieldless) A stag at gaze standing on two garden roses slipped and
leaved in saltire argent.

"At gaze" might be the default for deer.  -- The important thing is to
get the tinctures correct, sine peiople should have a black-and-white
miniemblazon to work from for the details of what charges are what.
If everything is white, then this is OK.

> Also, when doing a submission, if the person has a holding name, and
> a name resubmission in progress, which name should go on the Society
> Name line?

Urf.  I think it would be best to have both names: please put the
name-in-progress on the top name line, and write beside it "(in
progress; current holding name Foo of Westgate)".  That way, anyone
looking at the form can see either name; thorough cross-referencing is
utterly necessary, especially at Laurel.  Also, since (depending on
the kingdom) 60%-95% of all name changes are registered in some
spelling, so it's easier for the poor bloody clerk to just cross out
the holding name part than to laboriously write in the new registered
name.  I suggest "beside it" because then the poor bloody clerk can
write in any spelling changes above the new name in submission.

A Post-It(tm) brand note on the form might have gotten you brownie
points, but they were banned in the late 1970s.

Daniel, poor, bloody, but unbowed
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address