[ANSTHRLD] weather

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Mon Feb 24 14:33:58 PST 2003

>And also Northern and Central Ansteorra are being slammed by a freezing
storm.
>Even that other National Weather Service agrees:
>"Any Travel Is Strongly Discouraged. If You Leave The Safety Of
>Being Indoors, You Are Putting Your Life At Risk."
>
>"Be careful out there."

It's already starting down here in Austin.  When I ran an errand at 3pm, it
was drizzling and the temperature was 34 degrees and dropping.  Looking out
the window now, it's drizzling harder and the temperature has probably
dropped some more.

Here, they're sending folks home from work because of the weather.  I'm
going to wait until rush hour is over and then go home since I live close
to work and don't have to cross any bridges to get home.  Having spent 4
winters in Virginia, I'm not really worried about the ice that's expected.
It's the other drivers that scare me silly.

And here's a piece of info not everyone may know.  If you end up with ice
on your sidewalks or porch and don't have rock salt to scatter on it (after
all, in most areas of Ansteorra, when would you EVER need rock salt), you
can scatter kitty litter (or even sand).  It doesn't work as well as rock
salt, but it will eat at some of the ice.  In Virginia, we'd scatter the
rock salt (or kitty litter) in the evening.  That way, it could work as the
ice built up overnight.

Everyone be safe on the roads!

Mari