[ANSTHRLD] Squires, Achievements of Arms, and Ranks (Oh My!)

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Thu Feb 27 12:26:06 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:02:55PM -0600, Herndon, Darin wrote:
> Timothy wrote:
> "Please remember we can change nothing here.  Just as neither the
> College of Arms or the College of Heralds had any say over the creation
> of these symbols, likewise they would have no say over changing such.
> It is more a discussion of symbolism, which is very germain to this
> list."
>
> Thank you for that note Timothy.  These are traditions which arose
> outside of the heraldic college.  It should however be noted that the
> College of Arms does have some jurisdiction here.  Within the last year,
> if I am not mistaken as to timing, a gentleman from Atlantia registered
> a red belt as his badge.  There is always the possibility that something
> will get registered which creates a problem for the tradition; though
> the tradition itself is not registered.

While it is true that (fieldless) A belt gules was registered as a badge,
that does not impact the wearing of a red belt.  (The symbol is not the
thing symbolized...)

Blaise
Member of the as-yet-unformalized Confraternity of the Red Belt and
*not* a squire
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN