[ANSTHRLD] Squires, Achievements of Arms, and Ranks (Oh My!)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 27 12:36:34 PST 2003

"Herndon, Darin" <DHerndon at bswintl.com> wrote:
> Despite opinions or discussions on this list, this list cannot change
> such things.

That's true.

As for whether the heraldic establishment could do enforcement actions
in general ... Corpora does say "Laurel is responsible for fostering
the study and practice of heraldry, and for establishing rules and
making determinations regarding names and armory, royal and noble
titles, and geographical designations ...".  I believe that the Board
explicitly ruled (a few years ago) that Laurel could make no rulings
about widths of coronets, so belts and other insignia would, if I
recall that ruling correctly, be beyond heraldic jurisdiction
Society-wide.  The crown *could* empower Star to do things, but as a
practical matter, I seriously doubt it would ever happen.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address