[ANSTHRLD] Who can register

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Thu Feb 27 13:36:16 PST 2003

Daniel wrote:
*snip*
> If I were starting a household, a guild, a tourneying company, or some
> other "household" (as the SCA calls it), I might register a badge just
> to make it available, but release it if the "household" broke up.  If
> thinks looked stable for a year or two, I'd ask Star for permission to
> register an appropriate period-style achievement that's somewhat
> consistent with Ansteorran regs (probably have just mantling and
> helm).
*snip*

Achievements for groups might be interesting to discuss.  There are many
historical examples of companies that are granted arms and various other
achievements.  The College of Arms of England has a very nice achievement,
which I believe is on their webpage.  I do know they have at least a crest
(some type of bird), and a coronet.  It looks to be a coronet of four
straberry leaves, which makes sense, as the College of Arms is a Royal
Institution.

It would be interesting if we could register a group name and device like an
official SCA branch, which include a petition of support.  Then the group
could be recognized like an individual and be eligible for an AoA, GoA, PoA,
which could change its achievement over time.  Then consider using
supporters and coronets for those groups that are officially kingdom based,
like the College of Heralds, or the King's College, and the like.  The
difference between such a group and an official SCA branch would be easy
enough to identify, as the branch device has the laurel wreath(s) on it.
And it would be important to note that any honors granted to a group would
not be passed on to the members of that group individually.  So if the
Company of the Squeeky Wheels was honored by the Crown with a GoA, it
wouldn't make them all Honorable Lords/Ladies.

BTW, there are some kingdoms which do have awards that are granted to
groups.

Alden