[ANSTHRLD] Name construction and conflict check

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 28 02:37:03 PST 2003

Unfortunately the news is not good.

>The name is: Brian O’ Liam  (Irish, meaning Brian,
>male descendent of Liam. I can’t get my computer to do
>the O’ character properly.  The O’, based on what I
>have found, can be used this way.)

Liam is modern and not registerable.
It is in the Problem Names project
http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/liam.shtml

And there is a precedent ruling on it as well.
[July 1997 LOAR Atenveldt-A] "William MacAndro. Name.
Submitted as Liam MhicAindru, our best evidence suggests that Liam, is a
post­period diminutive. Since Liam cannot be registered, we have
substituted William, per the submitter's wishes. That makes the name a
mixture of Gaelic and English orthography, so we have Anglicized the
byname."

>The device is: Azure, a harp, in chief a clover of
>four leaves slipped, fesswise, or
>(If I don’t have the blazoning down right, the
>description I was given was blue, with a harp in the
>center and at the top a four leaf clover with a stem
>laying down, all in gold.)

The blazoning looks alright but there is another problem:
Conflict with Ireland
The following device associated with this name was registered in December of
1994 (via Laurel):
Azure, a harp Or stringed argent.
One CD for adding the clover.

Still it is better to find this out before you pay
for a submission.

Magnus von Lubeck
Orle herald