[ANSTHRLD] Symbols & symbolism, or, some thoughts on today's threads

BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV1) (USA) matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 28 08:56:29 PST 2003

Wow!
Do I know Mistress Serena?  I will be at Gulf War with my knight Sir Karl,
and Mistress Kasilda my Laurel.  I am that very same rascal that used the
term Squire, but also added the caveat of Gentlemen.  Most Royal noble's
were knighted before they were fourteen during my personas period
(1465-1485), so they would not be saying I am a Squire, even when they were,
they would go by their title, or say they are fostered to 'so and so',
however they would not need to say this if they were nobles, because
everyone that came into contact with them at that age would know them
anyway.  Other less well off nobles would be knighted as money permitted,
and sometimes never.  So how does a 32 year old SCA squire recreate the 15th
century life of a Yorkist gentleman?  My answer is very carefully!  Use
livery, and badges!  And yes, our symbols have power because we give them
power.  Duke Kein once said, "I am King because they believe I am King", or
something along those lines, being humble he did not mention prowess, or any
other thing like that.  Being a Squire or apprentice has as much meaning to
it as those entered into the agreement put into it.  And sometimes more than
both initially meant, like any relationship, things change and grow, just
like that seed Mistress Serena spoke of.  But one thing I would hope we as a
society and historical community would remember, and I use the term
historical loosely, is that we have the opportunity to recreate so much of
what was.  And by this I mean that there is no need to recreate the wheel as
far as heraldry, and symbols in the middle ages are concerned.  When we
change these things we make it harder to relive those times by inserting
anachronisms where they do not need to be.  Take a Tournament Company for
instance.  Many SCA norms must be altered to recreate the feel of a real Pas
de' Arms, the least of which is fighting formats, and rules. I can go into
this further off-list, but heraldry is a big part of a  Tournament Companies
world, and having to jump through the sometimes very interesting rules of
SCA heraldry is frustrating to say the least, and unfortunately, has caused
most that follow this form of tourney to brake with SCA rules just to
achieve the historically accurate appearance required.  No system is
perfect, and believe me I really take my hood off to those in the offices of
submissions.  I would just like to think that the idea of slowly changing to
a more historically minded rules of heraldry would be possible.  Of coarse
the rules would be as varied as the number of kingdoms in period, and this
might be the very reason behind why we do the thing we do today.  I leave
this to wiser minds than mine.  With greet respect I "pull wool and scratch
gravel"!

Lord Rodrigo de Navarra
Captain of the Company of the Grail