[ANSTHRLD] Helms in SCA achievements

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 27 08:54:42 PST 2003

"BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV1) (USA)"
<matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> In period a squire would have the interior of his helm painted red
> on his achievement, and his visor must be closed, helm facing
> Dexter.

What is your source for that?  I have never heard of anything like
that.  (And anyway, unless it's specifically a barred visor, which
need not be the case, you couldn't tell what's going on inside the
helmet.)

> All SCA's says is facing Dexter.

Please reread the first reply.  The SCA says nothing about
achievements.  Ansteorra has some regulations, but they vary depending
on one's awards.

> In period the primary tincture, and the metal were used for the
> Torse and Mantle, the metal being used on the lining of the mantle,
> and the torse being divided into only six parts, the metal starting
> at the left as you look at it.

What is your source for that?

For Ansteorran regulations, see
<http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/achievements/> .  It notes (under
AoAs)

    Achievements at this level need not be registered as even in
    period a gentles mantling might change depending soles on what
    artist rendered his arms on a particular dish or other personal
    object.

The rules are stated there, and they are also implied via the
registration form (linked to from the page).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address