[ANSTHRLD] requesting conflict check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Feb 28 12:59:03 PST 2003

Quarterly ermine and azure, in bend two crosses formy gules.

"Haines, Paul" <PHA at allseas.com> wrote:
> > RfS XI.3.a says, "Such fields may be used with identical charges
> > over the entire field, or with complex lines of partition or charges
> > overall that were not used for marshalling in period heraldry.
> I think "Over the entire field" would also apply to the following:
>     Quarterly ermine and azure, a cross gules

Actually, not in this case.  It turns out that sometimes a cross (of
some flavor) throughout was laid down over a marshalled quartering.
That's why it reads "charges overall that were not used for
marshalling in period heraldry" -- a cross throughout is one of the
charges that fails to qualify.

> Quarterly ermine and azure, three (two and one) crosses gules
> Quarterly ermine and azure, in fess two crosses gules
> Quarterly ermine and azure, in pale two crosses gules
> Quarterly ermine and azure, in bend three crosses gules

I agree that those follow the rule.  It uses "overall" in a looser
meaning (in the SCA, incorrect meaning) of "overlies a line of
division".  (The SCA meaning is "partially overlies another charge".)

> So Quarterly ermine and azure, in bend two crosses gules (IMO) is as
> much "over the entire field" as is any of the above examples.  The
> only difference here is that neither of the crosses are situated
> over a division line.

Not lying over a line of division is exactly why this last example
does NOT qualify: it fails the "overall" part.

> and perhaps the rules on marshalling would be made more clear to
> look at each quarter of a quartered field and state that for it to
> *not* be marshalled, at least one quarter must fail to exist as a
> stand-alone device.

Your rewording does not match the rule.  A quarter can indeed exist as
a standalone device; each quarter is not conflict-checked on its own.
"Quarterly azure and vert, in bend two harps Or" will not be bounced
for appearance of marshalling, for conflict with Ireland, or for
conflict with Libya.

I think the rule works fine as it is (modulo the bad use of
"overall").

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address