[ANSTHRLD] Introduction and Conflict Check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Feb 28 17:56:04 PST 2003

<fulco at fulco.net> wrote:
> Greetings!  My name is Fulco of Scarborough, and I am a new herald
> in training for the Incipient Canton of River's Run.

Greetings!  Here, letme set your New Herald Protection Field to 100% ...

> Sable a Fret Gules two swords in saltire argent.

If you're not 100% of the blazon, you should give an English-language
description of it.  I'm afraid I can't figure out the design, because
you don't give the relative positions of the fret and the swords (are
the swords entirely on the fret?  partially overlying the fret?  is
the fret in one part of the field and the swords in another separate
part?).

A fret couped -- chopped off short -- is

     \  /\  /
      \/  \/
      /\  /\
     /  \/  \
     \  /\  /
      \/  \/
      /\  /\
     /  \/  \

A fret is one of those used to fill the entire field.  Please let us
know which one you have.

But it appears that you have a black field and a red fret on it, yes?
Red on black is called "color on color" and it cannot be registered.

> In addition, might anyone know whom all do I need to send my
> application for office to?

For *any* administrative question whatsoever -- how do I apply?  how
do I resign?  what reports do I need to send, and to whom?  where can
I get forms for people to fill out?  how many copies do I need to
send, and to whom?  how do I subscribe to the Ansteorran Gazette? --
you can call your regional herald, as listed near the back of the
Black Star.  If it's vacant or you can't reach them, call the
principal herald.

In fact, that's a general principal for any prospective local officer
in Ansteorra: contact the regional (if any) or the corresponding
kingdom great officer.

It's their jobs to support the locals administratively, and if they
can't answer some question or don't have the time, they'll find
someone to help you out.  They like to talk.  They'd much rather you
contact them too much than have you flounder and founder.

The Ansteorran Gazette, by the way, answers a fair number of those
questions.  Any local herald needs a subscription, and preferably the
last few back issues.

You can, of course, ask questions here, and many senior heralds can
answer many of them, and we won't get annoyed (for some time -- see
New Herald Protection Field above).  As you go on and get resources,
you'll not only learn, you'll also learn what information is available
just by looking in the Ansteorran Gazette or calling someone else.

But it's the kingdom great officer (Star) and the regionals' jobs to
administer you.  You definitely have to call the regional now: someone
has to getyour application and warrant you as the local officer.  I
just don't know offhand whether that's been delegated to regionals or
left with Star, so you have to call the regional first if you can.

Really.  They like to talk.

Daniel "heralds are standing by" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address