[ANSTHRLD] An introduction and question

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jan 27 16:07:59 PST 2003

"Herndon, Darin" <DHerndon at bswintl.com> wrote:
> I honestly do not know how grey coloration would be treated since I
> think of grey as a metal (silver).

You honestly *do* know how grey coloration would be treated, since the
*SCA CoA* thinks of grey as a metal (silver, argent).

> What proper coloration gives you, when it can be used, is the
> ability to use a color that is not one of the period medieval
> heraldic tinctures (brown, grey, orange, etc.).

Since the demise of the tiger proper, I don't know that there's been
any orange done.

In period, if a foo critter could plausibly be brown, "a foo proper"
tended to be all brown, not whatever its color in nature tended to
be.

> What is the proper color of a flamingo (the pink ones or the white
> ones?).

I think this has been ruled on as "pink".  Ladybugs, however, despite
the common notion, does not have a default or proper ("gules marked
sable").

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address