[ANSTHRLD] the name Isolde von Wittenberg

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:17:32 PDT 2003

Isolde von Wittenberg is registerable but I don't have enough data to tell
you it is authentic for 1200s Germany.

Isolde

Withycombe page 166 header Isolda.
Isolda is the Latin form.  Isolde is found in 15th century England.  Isold
occurs in Old German as early as the 8th century. It is a common christian
name in the Middle Ages owing its popularity to that of the Tristan
romances.

Reaney & Wilson page 250 header Issard
gives Isolda from 1200 and Thomas Isolde from 1275
Ishild is listed as an Old German form of this name.

You may wish to read these as well.
ACADEMY OF SAINT GABRIEL REPORT 2328
http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2328+0
ACADEMY OF SAINT GABRIEL REPORT 1226
http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1226+0

von Wittenberg
Brechenmacher, page 824 header Wittenberg
1301 Joh. Withenberg
header Wittenborg
1329 Joh. Wittenborg
1636 Nik. Wittenburger
It is given from Old Norse origins as Wittenberg and Wittenburg.
This appears to be a place-name in Mecklenburg, Hannover, and Brandenberg.

With the spelling variations in Middle High German these would support von
Wittenberg for the 1200s.

The question I cannot answer is: did Isolde survive in Germany until the
1200s.  It was found in England and France during that time and it is found
several centuries earlier in Germany.  Our sample of names for
England/France is many times the size of our female names known from the
Middle High German period.

Magnus von Lubeck
it's nice to have more Germans around