[ANSTHRLD] MacLeod - Docs needed

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Thu Jul 3 09:48:15 PDT 2003

>> (1) If Asterisk makes a decision to change a name to another form,
>>     Asterisk has to document the new spelling, at least enough so that
>>     someone with standard sources can expand it for the LoI
>>     ("Withycombe, under Fiona" *grin*).  And if it's non-standard
>>     sources, Asterisk has to provide all the info for the LoI.
>
>All things being equal and perfect (TM), the commentary would have had
>the necessary docs to support the commentor's assertions. Also, Asterisk
>does not have a full library either, but I think she may have Black (not
>sure really).

Actually, the docs are already in the submission.  Kind of.

We looked it up at the meeting (thanks again to the good gentle who brought
in his box of books!).  The problem is with the docs in the ILoI, which
states:

... "MacCleod" in Black, p 538, shows a "Gillandres MacCleod" on a
perambulation of marches in 1227.  There is also a "Rev. Alexander
MacCleod" living from 1774-1838, proving the continued use of the name in
that form.

However, we checked the cite from Black and the 1227 reference was for
"Gillandres MacLeod" not "Gillandres MacCleod".  Hence, no docs "MacCleod"
is a period form and the needed correction of the name (and the relevant
LoI text as well).

Mari