[ANSTHRLD] Greetings to all...

Herndon, Darin DHerndon at bswintl.com
Mon Jul 7 08:29:40 PDT 2003

I have not checked sources yet but...

The O'Dempsy last name should be fine as a late period spelling.  I'll
double-check that later.

I do not know anything about Brenna and will have to look.

There are two separate issues here.  One is how you are called and the
other is what you can register.  I would drop the "the Gypsy" part if
you are planning to register the name in the SCA.  Consider, Harold
fitzBubba the Short.  Harold fitzBubba is the fictional guy's name; "the
short" is a little descriptive element that got tacked on as he got
older and people realized that he was short.  Descriptive bynames do get
registered in the SCA, within limits, but I would drop the Gypsy part as
you would have to document Irish Gypsies and their naming practices and
that could be a very long exercise and maybe fruitless.

So, you might get called, even into court, as Brenna O'Dempsy the Gypsy,
because that is how people know you.  But for SCA registration, I
recommend dropping the descriptive part.

Etienne

Nordsteorra Herald