[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jul 9 12:36:12 PDT 2003

Blaise de Cormeilles <blaise at scadian.net> wrote:
> Nope.  Trident heads are palewise by default, and have radial symmetry
> along the vertical axis.

"Radial symmetry"?!  Parker's describes the standard sort of trident I
was thinking of, along the lines of a fork:

^   ^   ^
|   |   |
|   |   |
 \__|__/

That's bilateral symmetry.  Radial symmetry is for things like
roundels, suns, and such, "Radial symmetry -- body can be divided body
can be divided equally in many planes (e.g., jellyfish).".

On the other hand, I see your point.  The above contourny is

^   ^   ^
|   |   |
|   |   |
 \__|__/

which has a relation to the original depiction, and that relation is
"identity".  I was thinking of "a trident's head to sinister" as being
an E shape, which of course would be "a trident's head FESSWISE to
sinister".

I have to agree that Zac of Middleford is a conflict.  Which is
annoying, but there it is.  My apologies for my confusion.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address