[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check.

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Thu Jul 24 21:21:47 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:31:46PM -0400, PKieferjr at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/24/2003 9:55:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
> ravenrux at cox.net writes:
>
> > per chevron argent and azure, two griffins segreant addorsed of the first
> > in chief, a garb in base Or
> >
> > conflict with:
> > per chevron throughout argent and azure, two griffons segreant gules and two
> > quill pens in saltire argent?

> First order of business:  "Per chevron throughout"?  I don't think such is
> possible, but I could be wrong.

It is, but let's continue.

> Second:  We don't say it the same way as RL heraldry.  So, "of the first"
> being the same as the first color mentioned, I assume you mean "argent".

Correct, but as you later point out, this would put argent on argent.
Let's assume for sake of argument that Masamune meant the griffins to be
azure.

> Third:  I believe (and someone can correct me on this) it's >in base x< and
> not >x in base<.  Same with "in chief".

Yeah but it's not a big difference.  I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be
surprised to see such word order in older blazons.

> Now, taking those into account, we compare the two items and we find them to
> be clear of each other for the following reasons:
>
> 1.  Griffons gules vs. Griffons Or.
> 2.  Garb vs two quill pens.

You are essentially correct.  Now as an excersize for the reader, can
you cite the appropriate RfS rules to back this up?

-Emma
troublemaker

--
Jennifer Smith