[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check.

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jul 24 21:34:29 PDT 2003

    Per chevron argent and azure, two griffins segreant addorsed azure
    and a garb Or.
versus
    Malcolm Wallace of Moray, registered December 1994,
    Per chevron throughout argent and azure, two griffins segreant
    gules and two quill pens in saltire argent.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Bill Butler <chemistbb3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm probably wrong as it is past my bed time but...
>
> Isn't there a problem with metal on metal?  The way I
> read it is that the charges are all Or (gold)and half
> of the field is Argent (silver).

I think you are referring to the original blazon

    per chevron argent and azure, two griffins segreant addorsed of
    the first in chief, a garb in base Or

?  "Of the first" in English blazon means "the tincture first
mentioned in this blazon".  Similarly, "of the second" means "the
tincture second in this blazon" and so forth.  "Of the field" means
"the field tincture", but really only works for solid fields.

So in this blazon, the charges are not all Or.  The griffins are
argent, and the garb is Or.  It's still metal-on-metal, having silver
griffins on silver background, of course.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.