[ANSTHRLD] Slot Machine?

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Wed Jul 9 09:07:17 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:50:33AM -0400, tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> Blaise de Cormeilles <blaise at scadian.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:55:27AM -0500, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> > > There ARE a few unusual period coats that we would return for
> > > non-period style (that's what the rule is called, so that's what we'd
> > > have to cite), but I don't know of any simple royal arms in that
> > > class.
> >
> > (Paging Mortimer...)
>
> Hmmm ... Certainly, Mortimer is a bitch and a half to blazon.
> One period treatise said that the best way to blazon it is just as
> "Mortimer".

> But given the fame of Mortimer's arms, I suspect that Laurel would
> register a submission along those lines and simply note the inadequacy
> of the blazon (if even that were mentioned).  I'd support its
> registration: the arms of an earl of March, one of the greatest of the
> earldoms on the Welsh marches, would not be obscure in a lot of
> medieval Europe, I suspect.

I would not support it -- the base coat's fame, uniqueness, and
unblazonability is a strong argument that the arrangement is peculiar to
that family, and a coat using that arrangement a claim to unmerited
status.

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN