[ANSTHRLD] Onamastics Question: Darthula

Maridonna maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 30 08:30:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

Yikes!  This *might* be legendary, although OC&M doesn't list it.

Dart-shuile: heifer eyes (Macpherson's Darthula)
http://www.classic-novels.com/author/jacobs/celtic_fairy_tales/fairytales047
.shtml
It seems that Darthula is a re-told Gaelic story of Deirdre.

http://www.linley.com/frtlinley.htm
"...In Darthula the setting is dark ages Scotland rather than the debased
eighteenth-century version of the world of Classical myth. The text is
adapted from 'Dar-thula a Poem', published by James Macpherson in his 1765
'edition' of The Works of Ossian the Son of Fingal..."

Here's Macpherson's 18th century poem in French
http://gallica.bnf.fr/Fonds_textes/T0087460.htm
--
Andrea / Maridonna

Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.