[ANSTHRLD] refining my badge

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Mar 5 09:50:28 PST 2003

"Haines, Paul" <PHA at allseas.com> wrote:
> [Fieldless] On a pellet within and conjoined to an annulet
> dovetailed of six dovetails on the outer edge a dragon argent.

With six dovetails, it might get reblazoned as a cog wheel or perhaps
even be returned for non-period style, and I'd bet the "six" would be
dropped in any event.  I think the layering return is plausible.

> Thus we have two co-primary charges of a pellet and an annulet.

Even with your blazon, the annulet would be secondary.  From the CoA
Glossary of Terms:

    Primary Charge Group. The most important group of charges in a
    piece of armory. In blazons, the primary charge group is usually
    mentioned immediately after the field. (A strewn charge group is
    not primary when it is blazoned before a central charge group.)
    The primary charge is usually the central ordinary lying entirely
    on the field, if one is present. If there is no such central
    ordinary, then the primary charge group is the set of charges of
    the same size that lie in the center of the design and directly on
    the field.

THe annulet is not central and does not have anything like the visual
weight of the central charge.

> The dragon becomes a secondary/tertiary? charge, charging the
> pellet.

"Tertiary".  A secondary charge is entirely on the field (and is not
primary); a tertiary charge is entirely on a charge that's on the
field.  (It's hard to get a secondary charge on a fieldless badge.)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address