[ANSTHRLD] On symbolism in arms

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Mar 5 20:45:41 PST 2003

Since someone asked ...

    Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:29:42 -0800
    From: Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com>
    Subject: Re: Positioning question
    To: SCAHRLDS at LISTSERV.AOL.COM

> "Gules, in pale three lions passant guardant" does not mean "The
> bearer likes lions" or "here is a picture of three lions" or even
> "the bearer thinks he's a like a lion" -- it means "HERE IS THE KING
> OF ENGLAND".
>
> "A cross parted and fretted" or "a saltire parted and fretted" are
> very similar to the above designs, and easily blazoned.  Either one
> (barring conflict) can say "HERE IS RHINOHIDE STICKJOCK" just as
> surely as something bristling with swords.

My arms don't get as much exposure as they should, but my badge is on
everything I can draw/paint/tape it onto.  "A mascle argent."  It's
fieldless, so it's on wood, paper, metal, plastic, and a drumhead.

So I have a group of new people and I'm saying, "Representing yourself
on your device is a lousy idea.  Now, you dance, but in five years you
might be defined as a weaver.  What are you going to do, change your
device?  A better idea is to make the SYMBOL represent YOU.  Your three
year old child cannot read, but she sees the Golden Arches and starts
shouting, "I wanna Happy Meal!"  What does a big yellow, rounded M have
to do with hamburgers?  Nothing.  Nothing at all, same as a big shell
has nothing to do with gasoline.  These symbols have meaning because
they are associated with the organization behind them, and even the
youngest among us knows that association.  Ask anyone within about a
hundred mile radius who has this badge <here I hold up my bodhran
bag, emblazoned with a large appliqued white mascle> and they'll say,
"Teceangl!".  Make that two hundred miles if it's a herald, and some in
other kingdoms would also recognize it.  I have people come up to me
and say, "We were driving in the HOV lane and I thought of you."  Voila!
My badge now, in their minds, means 'Teceangl', not 'carpools only',
or even 'busses' or 'bicycles only'.  Do I look like a mascle to you?
Does it have a thing to do with what I do either mundanely or in the
SCA?  Nope, but it's me.  I made it me.  Go, now, and pick a cool
design and make it you!"

That's pretty much my standard litany, and it's worked a lot.  So,
put your armory on things and try it yourself.  Or heck, tell them
about Teceangl Who Owns Every Bike Lane.  :)

- Teceangl
--
     The sun, moon, and stars are for the birds -- a big naught.
                   Flora rose cross and ate flour.