[ANSTHRLD] Re: Ragendall V'Ragnarok

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:19:41 PST 2003

I actually had started on this before Magnus suggested  that I might... OK,
the name he's apparently using at present is:

>>Ragendall V'Ragnarok

As has already been noted, the V'Ragnarok isn't plausibly an Old Norse (or
medieval Scandinavian) name form.

The first element is probably meant to be Ragn-, which is found primarily in
East Scandinavian names.  The only West Norse masculine name I know of which
uses this first element is Rögnvaldr.  The second element I would guess has
been formed from the second element in Heimdallr - a name for which the
etymology is hotly contested, but the second element is probably -dallr
(brightness) and does not, as far as I have discovered, appear in human
names as a second element.

I'm going to give what info I have on similar names below, and please feel
free to have him email me directly if he wants some guidance and help in
forming a better Old Norse name... <gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com> (not .org
anymore...)

My Old Norse names article is at:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONNames.htm

The women's Old Norse names are at:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONWomensNames.htm

I'm nowhere near done with the masculine names, but I've gone ahead and
loaded up what I had complete (A-E), which can be found at:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONMensNames_partial.htm

Also in an effort to supply documentable names that will still appeal to the
"Pixie Moonglow" element, I have a list of names that one might consider in
some way connected with some of the Old Norse gods. These are all names
documentably borne by human people, and may be useful in steering a heraldic
client away from the "Twilight of the Gods" type names (If I had a nickel
for everyone who has written me wanting Fenris or Ragnarokr or Surtr in
their names, I would have servants.  At least a maid once a week!):
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONNames_and_Gods.htm

I also have a big zipped PDF on my site containing a rough translation of
the Swedish Nordisk runnamnslexikon, which is a dictionary of names found in
runic inscriptions.  It doesn't cover every possible old Norse name, but it
has lots more East Scandinavian names and a bunch of names not in Geirr
Bassi Haraldsson's "Old Norse Name" pamphlet:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/FTP_Files/NordisktRunnamnslexicon.zip

Nordisk runnamnslexikon has:

Ragn-  From Germanic *razina-, for example in Gothic ragin n. "counsel,
decision", OW.Norse rögn, regin n. pl. "power, power of the gods".  As a
personal name element this word rather has the Germanic sense of "rede,
counsel, decision", but in Scandinavia aquired a secondary meaning with the
religious interpretation.  May derive from either Germanic *ragn and the
side-form *rægin which have changed within the inflection paradigm.

Ræginmundr.  Found in Old Danish as Reimund; compare with Old Swedish
Rag(n)mund, Raimund, (Latin) Remundus.  May perhaps be found in the runic
accusative case form: [uiki(n)(m)(r)...].

Ragnarr - O.Dan. Regner, O.Swed. Ragnar, OW.Norse Ragnarr.

Ragnbiörn - Found as O.Swed. Ragnbiorn.

Ragnfastr - O.Swed. Ragnvast.  Runic examples - Nominative: ragnfastr,
[rahnfastr], raknfastr, ranfast[r], [ranfastr]. Accusative form: raknfast,
[raknfast].

Ragni - O.Dan. Regni, O.Swed. Ragne, O.Swed. Ragni.  Short form of masculine
names in Ragn-.  Runic examples - Nominative: ragni, rakn[in].  Genitive:
rakna.  Accusative: ragna, rahna.

Ragnvaldr/Rögnvaldr - O.Dan. Rawald (? - this may or may not derive from the
"Ragnvaldr" names), Regnwald, O.Swed. Ragnvald, OW.Norse
Rögnvaldr.  Runic examples - Nominative: rahnualtr, [rakualtr].  Accusative:
raknualt.

Ragnviðr - O.Swed. Ragnvidh.  Runic examples - Nominative: rahnuiþr.

Alternatively, if he's not wedded to the Ragn- element, he could go with a
name in Rand-:

Randr - O.Dan. Rand, O.Swed. Rand. Derived from OW.Norse rönd, "shield".
Runic examples - Nominative: rontr.

Randi - O.Dan. Randi.  A short form of masculine names in Rand-, i.e.
O.Swed. Randolf, OW.Norse Randviðr.  Runic examples - Nominative: ranti,
ronti.

::GUNNVOR::