[ANSTHRLD] Rapiers in saltire

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Tue Mar 11 10:45:55 PST 2003

Note: please adjust the subject when replying to the digest; "[ANSTHRLD]
RE: Heralds digest, Vol 1 #542 - 3 msgs" is not descriptive of what your
message is about.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:06:02PM -0600, Joseph Percer wrote:
> Okay, so the blazon was:
>
>  Vert, two rapiers fesswise in saltire argent, a horseshoe opening to chief
> in cheif or, all within a bordure embattled or.
>
> Basically, a green field, I want two rapiers, points to base, argent, and
> above them, a horseshoe, points to cheif, or, within a border thats
> embattled or.

"Fesswise" means that each rapier has the point on one side and the hilt
on the other side at the same height; "in fess" means that one rapier is
entirely on one side and the other rapier is entirely on the other side,
with the points directly below/above the hilts (depending on whether
they are inverted or not, respectively).  You can't have two rapiers
fesswise and in saltire; to be fesswise each rapier's point has to be at
the same height as its hilt, while to be in saltire each rapier must be
on a diagonal.

Rapiers default to being palewise point to chief (point directly above
the hilt).  If you want the point directly below the hilt, then they are
"inverted".  If you want two rapiers crossed with each one's hilt
directly below the other's point, that is "in saltire".  Crossed with
each one's hilt directly above the other's point is "inverted in
saltire".  If you want some other relative position of points and hilts,
describe it explicitly in English and we can tell you how to blazon it.

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN