[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Questions

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Mar 16 00:40:05 PST 2003

> I have a client who wants:
> Per pale azure and argent, a terrier and a cat sejant erect respectant within a bordure counterchanged.

Your problem is not conflict, it's X.5.
The bordure, being counterchanged, does not create the impression of a
single piece of armory; it looks like an impalement of two seperate
devices.
Here's the Laurel precedent covering this situation:

   [Per pale Or and vert, a bear sable and a lion Or combatant within a
   bordure embattled counterchanged] The addition of a bordure does not
   remove the appearance of marshalling, as required in RfS XI.3. Because
   the bordure is counterchanged the coat is a legitimate impalement of
   Or, a bear rampant contourny sable within a bordure embattled vert and
   Vert, a lion rampant within a bordure embattled Or. The embattling
   does somewhat reduce this appearance, but, as complex bordures were
   used for cadency on quartered arms, we believe that embattling the
   bordure is insufficient to remove the appearce of marshalling for
   impaled arms as well. [Daniel Archer the Bear, 07/00, R-Outlands]

This was reaffirmed with the registration of the arms of Pegge Leg the
Merchant on the LoAR of March 2002:

   Bordures in impaled arms traditionally cut off at the line of
   division. If one impaled the hypothetical arms Argent, a cross
   fleury within a bordure gules and Gules, a lion within a bordure
   argent, the resultant impaled armory would appear to be Per pale
   argent and gules, a cross fleury and a lion within a bordure
   counterchanged. As a result, armory using a per pale line of
   division, a bordure, and different types of charges on each side of
   the line of division will look like marshalled arms if the bordure
   changes tincture at the line of division. It may also look like
   marshalled armory if the bordure is a solid tincture but has good
   contrast with both halves of the field. The hypothetical arms
   Argent, a sword within a bordure sable and Or, an eagle within a
   bordure sable would combine when impaled to armory which would
   appear to be Per pale argent and Or, a sword and an eagle within a
   bordure sable. Thus, the only case in which a bordure may remove
   the appearance of impalement from armory which would otherwise
   appear to be impaled is if the bordure is a solid tincture and if
   it has poor contrast with one half of the field. That is the case
   with this device.

As to your conflict check, X.4.b. and X.4.e. applied.  But remember to
always check style, marshalling, and reserved/restricted charge use
before you conflict check.  Saves time.

I suggest the client use a bordure in any tincture not azure or argent.
My personal preference is gules, but that's just me.  :)

- Teceangl
--
     The sun, moon, and stars are for the birds -- a big naught.
                   Flora rose cross and ate flour.