[ANSTHRLD] Tristan St Catherine wheel badge

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Mar 27 20:56:36 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Chris Norman <chris at cncnorman.com> wrote:
> Sorry to take so long to respond to this. I wanted the cross notably
> larger then the hub. So if I understand correctly this will cause an
> immediate return. How can I correct this problem while keeping with
> the overall design. Is it as simple as adding a field?

It depends very much on what you mean by "correct this problem".

The SCA uses the term "badge" much more broadly than period people
did.  If you want a badge in the period sense, an ensign armorial
that you can put on retainers and other possessions to say "this is
mine": period badges were fieldless.  Also, in most cases they were
just one charge.

If you want something SCA-registerable, then putting a field on it
would obviate this particular problem.  Then you have to note that
charges either entirely (the Catherine's wheel) or partially (overall
charges, in this case the Maltese cross) must have good contrast with
the field.  That means that the wheel and the cross would have to both
be metal, both be color, or one or both be neutral (and not sharing a
tincture with the field).  That means that the cross and the wheel
won't have good contrast with each other, making them not that easy to
make out visually.

It's your call on what you want.

Daniel de Lincolia
--