[ANSTHRLD] Device advice

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 20:57:48 PST 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Owen <owenstott at yahoo.com> wrote:
> (who should stay away from heraldry at three in the morning after
> drinking)

Well, everyone should, I think.

If you're not 100% sure about a blazon, you should describe it in
plain English as well.

> it should be; per bend sinister azure and Or masoned sable,and in
> dexter chief a celtic cross argent. (assumed a latin cross)

As I mentioned last Tuesday, the Words that are Capitalized in SCA
Blazonry:
- (Fieldless), traditionally put in parens.
- (Tinctureless).
- The first word of the blazon.  (Fieldless) and (Tinctureless) are
  not really part of the blazon; they're just leading indicators to
  show that you didn't forget the field.
- The tincture "Or".
- Proper names, as in "Bowen knot", "cross of Jerusalem", "Catherine
  wheel", "Maltese cross", et cetera.

So it's
    Per bend sinister azure and Or masoned sable, in dexter chief a
    Celtic cross argent.

"Celtic" is a proper name, the name of a somewhat related group of
peoples.  A Latin (proper name) cross is the default for a Celtic
cross, as I mentioned, so it doesn't need to be mentioned.  The field
is followed immediately by charge specifications (masoning is a "field
treatment", that is, an aspect of tincture, not a charge), so the
"and" didn't fit.

I don't know whether "masoned" was ever used in real-world armory
except when depicting stone architecture (walls, castles, bridges, and
such).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.